- to deliver especially from sin or its penalty
- to free from captivity or punishment by paying a price
- a consideration paid or demanded for the release of someone or something from captivity
- the act of ransoming In the biblical example:
28 even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” ~ Matthew 20:28 (ESV) . Our captive souls were redeemed by at a cost beyond compare, hence our debt is not “cancelled, but paid. . .
12 And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”
Acts 4:12 (ESV)
There is a tremendous challenge in realizing and accepting we need to be rescued as the acceptance of failure is often almost unbearable to swallow. But such sweet joy is found beyond that valley of despair for not only is rescue possible it is found in the abundance that is in Christ. Beyond that is the need to recognize that salvation is found in no other place beyond the Christ.
#bible #Christian #faith #timelesstruth #Jesus #worship #fellowship #inthelight #salvation
7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. ~ 1 John 1:7 (ESV)
As the day dawns around us, make sure your steps match the walk of the son! Make today a day of renewed fellowship!
38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. ~Acts 2:38 (ESV)
The preaching of Peter is the fulfillment of the expectation of Jesus. He was told to baptize in the Jesus’ name and his exhortation closes down with that same refrain!
#bible #Christian #faith #timelesstruth #Jesus #transformation
18 having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, ~ Ephesians 1:18 (ESV)
One of Paul’s prayers for the believers in Ephesus should be our own. The ability to see with genuine spiritual discernment is a window to great spiritual success. How we see what surrounds up will always drive us to the choices we make on our journey to be evermore like Christ. When we begin to value our spiritual blessings beyond our temporal surroundings hope will abound beyond compare.
I met a pretty cool critter today… Sal turned out to be a really good listener. I’m guessing it is a skill we could all improve…
19 This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; 20 for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God. James 1:19-20 NASB
Philippians 4:8 (NASB95)
8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.
Before you hit “share” or “like” on that post or funny story, let it simmer for a bit and consider Paul’s admonition from Philippians 4.
- Is it true… Each and every day, hyped up fear fed articles are posted about new applications, foods, vaccines, politics, local events, the family next door… Many of them are just not so. Simple common sense should tell us that 1/2 of these things are not so, and discretion should eliminate the rest. If it is really that important take the time to do some fact checking.
- Is it honorable… Not every noteworthy event in life needs space in our heads. Mark you space with things worthy of real honor.
- Is it right… Fanning the fire of rebellion towards things that are truly right tears down the very ones who need help the most
- Is it pure… It helps to become a little savvy with social media. Sometimes an old friend, will pass along a great uplifting story, but they shared it from a Facebook group or page that either has a foul name, or commonly passes along material filled with profanity. Make a choice to check out first if the story is true, then find a clean source to share. Not only will you help yourself, you help those who you want to encourage.
- Is it lovely… Your kids and grandkids are, that 14th million share of “people of Walmart” is not…
- Is it of good repute… Remember your reputation. When you share that page, your character goes with it, for good or ill, they will be latched together from that point on. Do you really think those 2 or three good things are worth the filth one needs to swim through.
- Is there any excellence… Is this really what it seems to be, and does it provide the best you want those whom you care about and lead to follow. Does it raise the bar?
- Is it worthy of praise… Life is already full of enough sorrow, our broken hearts desperately need things worthy of praise and rejoicing.
Proverbs 4:23 (NASB95)
23 Watch over your heart with all diligence, For from it flow the springs of life.