While preaching in El Salvador I found the following New Year’s resolution attached to the door of Mercedes Hernandez, daughter of Joaquin Hernandez who preaches in Central America. The paper was written by his daughter for her benefit alone, a few minutes after greeting the New Year. She went to her room, wrote her thoughts on the paper and fixed it to the door. She did not know anyone else would see it. I was impressed by it and asked her to let me have a copy of it to share with others. Her example may inspire the rest of us to greater zeal in the Lord’s kingdom.
January 1, 1988. 12:15 a.m. This year I desire, if the Lord wills:
1. To study in order to learn.
2. To persist in useful things.
3. To forget things which are not pleasant.
4. To smile more and be more pleasant among those about me.
5. To be punctual and constant.
6. To be better toward Said and Yasser (her two little brothers, BHR).
7. To do all things whole-heartedly and with love toward the Lord.
What I have written I propose in my heart, asking the Lord that I might fulfill it.
I desire, oh Lord, that you permit me to accomplish it in accordance with your divine will, and when I feel weakness in me I ask you to accompany me.
But above all I supplicate thee to be with me and accompany me always, Lord of heaven and earth.
Permit me to read the Holy Bible and to pray every day.
Pray: many times daily.
Read: one or more hours daily.
Blessed be thou Lord Jesus. Be with my brothers. In your great love. Amen.
Guardian of Truth XXXII: 6, p. 171
March 17, 1988