James Nored wrote the following series a while back in which he raises some salient questions and provides his answers to them. In my opinion he does not provide answers to his questions that match the simplicity of the Bible.
“I recently toured a church in our fellowship that just redid their auditorium. They had an incredible set up. Three huge screens, incredible lighting, stadium seating. I immediately thought two things: 1) this must have cost a lot of money–we could never afford this; and 2) I would love to preach in this atmosphere, because it would be incredible. It would be experiential” James Nored
Wes McAdams does a fine job responding to the core of what was missing in his article Experience Driven Church.
- Why are Churches of Christ Shrinking? – Part 1: A Left-Brained Fellowship in a Right-Brained World
- Why are Churches of Christ Shrinking? – Part 2: Failure to Understand that it is an Increasingly Unchurched, Post-Christian World
- Why Churches of Christ Are Shrinking – Part 3: A Misplaced Identity and a Failure to Truly Believe in Grace
- Why Do Churches of Christ Have Hope and a Future? – Part 1: A Reawakening to Ancient Faith & Practices Such as Baptism & the Lord’s Supper
If I were to suggest some solutions to the growing challenge of reaching the lost in our present culture, it would include:
- When asked about the Christ, discuss “righteousness, self-control and the judgment to come”.
- In the manner of your life, let people see that you love your brethren.
- Do not be ashamed of your King.
- Be empowered by holy living.
- Get the seed out of the bag and start sowing!